Share

Kettles Yard Museum

Kettles Yard Museum

Kettle’s Yard was the inspiration of Jim Ede who had previously been a curator at the Tate Gallery in London.

In 1957 Jim took on the renovation of four dilapidated 19th Century Cottages in Cambridge; converting them into a single house which is now housing the collection. Completed in 1958 both Jim and his wife Helen Ede moved in and lived there until 1973. In 1966 Kettle’s Yard was given to the University of Cambridge. In 1970 the House was extended and an Exhibition space was added.

Lightplan was appointed by the University to develop the Lighting and the Lighting Control System. We worked closely with the Project`s Design / Management Teams including Kettle’s Yard Curators; Jamie Fobert Architects, SDC Project Managers and Munro Building Services.

Kettle’s Yard was reopened in February 2018 after an extensive reconstruction work. Lightplan prepared the Gallery for the Opening. The scope included all the special Event Programmes, setting up the Galleries, Work Spaces, focusing all equipment and adjusting the light levels to the Museum’s brief.

The Guardian – Oliver Wainwright : “The groundbreaking home-turned-gallery’s £11m extension is both exceptional and modest – perfectly in keeping with the ethos of its visionary creator”.

The Architects Journal – “Carefully conceived to complement and enhance the qualities of the original house, the development includes new exhibition galleries, education spaces, a café and new welcome areas, greatly enhancing Kettle’s Yard’s offering as a centre for contemporary and modern art outside London”.